Government Gets Behind P2B Lending

By AltFi on 24th February 2014

P2P/Marketplace Lending

The British government has pumped £40 million into UK peer-to-business lender Funding Circle.

Government Gets Behind P2B Lending

In March of 2013, frustrated by the unwillingness of banks to lend to SMEs, the government injected £55m into four major p2p players: Zopa, Funding Circle, Boost and Credit Asset Management. Funding Circle have since distributed their £20m share, making loans to over 2000 businesses and creating over 6500 jobs. Now the p2b lender is getting £40m – this time through the government’s new British Business Bank. The arrangement specifies that this taxpayer money will be used to fund 10% of each successful borrower request made via the platform, with the remaining 90% coming from private investors.

The Secretary for Business, Innovation and Skills, Vince Cable, commented:

“Too much business lending is concentrated in the big banks. If we’re to have a properly functioning business lending market, they need to be challenged by new banks, peer-to-peer lenders and other alternative providers.”

Mr. Cable will be delivering a much-anticipated keynote speech at the fast-approaching AltFi Summit 2014, on March 11th at Vinopolis. It will be fascinating to hear his thoughts on this rapidly maturing sector.  With institutional money steadily beginning to pour into the space, the news of increased government involvement serves as a further endorsement of AltFinance forms. 

Comments

Insurance AI & Analytics USA

Insurance AI & Analytics USA (June 27-28, Chicago) is the only forum bridging the gap between the analytical and data minds and the business transformation leaders. As carriers rush to meet customer demands and deliver continuous business growth without dramatically increasing costs, deploying innovative technologies such as AI, machine learning and advanced analytics can be the only way to remain competitive. But in order to deliver real value to the organization, these innovations must have a real application in the core business areas and directly improve operational efficiency and deliver a seamless customer experience

26th June 2018